Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team™
Brave Heart Consulting, Inc is a certified facilitator of the Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team™ program.
The Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team ™ has a very simple goal: To help you discover how to build a truly cohesive and effective team. Based on Patrick Lencioni’s best-selling leadership fable The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, the 5 Behaviors program focuses on putting the Five Behaviors ™ model into practice with your team.
Five Behaviors Powered by All Types™
Brave Heart Consulting uses the All Type ™ version which helps participants better understand how individual personalities contribute to team development.
The Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team™ Powered by All Types™ is designed exclusively for teams within organizations that apply tools based on Jung’s theory of psychological types, like the MBTI® instrument (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Myers-Briggs, MBTI and MBTI Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Myers & Briggs Foundation in the United States and other countries.), as their preferred indicator of personality. This program creates a learning experience that helps teams understand how they score on the components of The Five Behaviors™ model: Trust, Conflict, Commitment, Accountability, and Results, and discover how individual personalities and preferences contribute to the team’s overall success.
Pam has used the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® with teams and individuals for more than 22 years worldwide. Her experience shows that it is a core tool to help individuals and teams communicate more effectively with everyone. The “All Types ™ version of the Five Behaviors is a 10 out of 10 in relevance for organizations today where communicating as effectively as possible is a core competency for success.
Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team Program
Our approach to the Five Behaviors program works easily because it concentrates on three elements:
Structured for your team. Together we’ll plan what approach will work better for your team. It could be in half-day modules or a full day and follow on half days. The modules can be scheduled closer together – or further apart. The approach will be tailored for you.
Based on data from your team assessment. Your team will take a team assessment before the first module. That means you’ll have actual data based on what your team is thinking. It’s powerful to use the teams’ data to drive the conversations. A follow-up assessment will be done at the end to determine your team’s next steps.
Practice in between modules. You begin applying what was learned and discussed and practice the new behaviors before the next module. Yes, the motto “practice makes perfect” applies here. For teams that like to get things done, practice is one of the best ways to become even more effective.
Working with the leaders and/or management team to apply the concepts to your situation. The success of the program requires that the leaders are fully committed to doing their work so they can lead a cohesive team. Don’t worry. We’ll help you do that.
- We’ll meet with you before the sessions begin so we begin to understand your organization and the current state
- We’ll help you identify what skills are most important for you, as the leader, to demonstrate and how to do that
- Together we’ll come to agreements on the desired outcomes for the program.
- NOTE: Leaders aren’t always the people who have the titles. Leadership can come from anywhere in the organization.
Are You Ready
As you may have read in the Brave Heart Free Article on “What are you Really Ready to Change?”, you have to move through phases of readiness to change and sometimes being “not ready” to change is an important place to be. It’s just too hard to change at all, so trying to push change before you’re ready is almost impossible.
And, even if you’re not sure whether you and your team are ready to change there are some things you can do to determine whether you’re ready.
Is this You?
Does this sound like your team?
“Our team meetings are boring. Some of us aren’t clear about priorities or direction – and don’t dare reveal that we don’t know. We often make poor decisions. Team members focus on their own careers and individual goals instead of the team goals. Some members second-guess each other or just don’t communicate. We revisit the same topics over and over and over and over again.”
Intact leadership or work team that wants or needs to be even more high-performing. Yes, there’s no upper limit on how high performing you can be as a team (or an individual!).
A team that gets things done and has friction that you think is wasting precious time and energy.
Measure the Effectiveness of your Team
The Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team assessment gives team members:
- Team Data – a place to start
- A sense of your team’s unique strengths and areas of challenge
- An evaluation of the team’s current dynamic across the five fundamental behaviors
- A powerful measurement for growth. A baseline assessment establishes the current state.
- A chance to re-assess after the team learns and practices new skills. This provides valuable feedback on team progress and where more focus would be beneficial.
The program is seven modules from 2-5 hours in length, spread out over a time horizon that works for your team.
- We move to the next module when the team is ready. Sometimes, it takes more than one session to work through the module. That’s part of the excellence of this program – the team gets more skillful before moving on.
- Modules can be scheduled based on what works for your team. If possible, the first session is often scheduled for a half-day or more.
Behavior 1 TRUST ONE ANOTHER
When team members are genuinely transparent and honest with one another,
they are able to build vulnerability-based trust.
Behavior 2 ENGAGE IN CONFLICT AROUND IDEAS
When there is trust, team members are able to engage in unfiltered, constructive
debate of ideas.
Behavior 3 COMMIT TO DECISIONS
When team members are able to offer opinions and debate ideas, they will be
more likely to commit to decisions.
Behavior 4 HOLD ONE ANOTHER ACCOUNTABLE
When everyone is committed to a clear plan of action, they will be more willing
to hold one another accountable.
Behavior 5 FOCUS ON ACHIEVING COLLECTIVE RESULTS
The goal of building greater trust, healthy conflict, commitment, and accountability is one thing: the achievement of results.
©2016 John Wiley & Sons, Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction approved when used in conjunction with The Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team™ Powered by All Types™.
With active participation, your team will be able to:
- Demonstrate the skills right away after a module – which means quicker results.
- Demonstrate a blend of professional expertise and personal credibility, key ingredients for trust.
- Hold themselves and each other accountable for the broader impact of their actions.
- Skillfully and candidly communicate while balancing advocacy for their thoughts with openness to others’ ideas.
- Manage conflict and different points of view constructively and maintain team cohesion.
- Trust one another.
Get Started Now!
Want to find out how your organization is doing? Take the free, short Accountability Assessment. We know that some websites use this kind of thing just to get your email address and that can be annoying. We just want you to begin thinking about Accountability. You don’t have to sign up for anything to take the assessment. And, it won’t take more than 5 minutes!
To have an accountable organization the management team has to lead the way. We’ll work with you and your management team increase accountability throughout the organization and make it a way of life. Contact us so we can learn about your unique challenges.
We will work with you and your team to find solutions for complex challenges.
We’ll work with you and your management team increase accountability throughout the organization.